By now most of us know not to feed our dogs chocolate. But did you know there are some other foodstuffs that can make Fido fall ill?*
Here’s a quick list:
1. Chocolate: We love chocolate, and so do our dogs. What is a fun addiction for us can lead to serious health problems for your Pet. Theobromine is the culprit here, and symptoms of poisoning include:
- diarrhea or increased urination
- excitability or restlessness
- dehydration, excessive panting
While a taste of chocolate might not harm your dog, an overdose is possible based on your dog’s age, weight and overall health. If you think your dog has snacked on your chocolate stash, call your Hannah vet. We’ll tell you what to do.
2. Xylitol and Xylitol-containing products. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener most often found in sugar-free candy and gum. It’s also a sugar substitute and comes in per-serving packets. Dogs may develop disorientation and seizures within 30 minutes of ingesting xylitol-containing products, or signs may be delayed for several hours. Some dogs who ingest large amounts of xylitol develop liver failure, which can be fatal. All dogs ingesting xylitol-containing products should be examined by a veterinarian immediately.
3. Onions (and garlic!) Some dogs love onions. They’ll do a sit up and beg at the sight of your tears. Don’t give in. These foods contain a compound that damages red blood cells. In severe cases, blood transfusions may be necessary. While it’s uncommon for dogs to eat enough to cause serious problems, exposure to concentrated forms of onion or garlic, such as dehydrated onions, onion soup mix or garlic powder, may put your dog at risk.
4. Grapes, raisins and currants. This one is still a mystery to the veterinarian community. Some dogs can gobble grapes with no problem, others become seriously ill. Some dogs have an immunity to grapes one day, the next they are in toxic overdrive and are dealing with kidney failure. Until the cause of toxicity is better identified, the safest course of action is to avoid feeding grapes or raisins to your dog, even if your Pet has been ok eating them in the past.
5. Raw bread dough. We’ve all heard stories: A pan of biscuits was left to rise and now it’s clearly hanging out in the belly of your dog. Your first instinct might be to wait it out and let Nature take its course. Think again. Raw bread dough made with live yeast can be hazardous if ingested by dogs. Once swallowed, the warm, moist environment of the stomach allows the dough to keep on rising. Serious, time-critical complications can occur, so it’s best to call your Hannah vet. We also have a 24-hour emergency care hotline, so you can call us anytime.
6. Hops. Home brewed beer is a delicious hobby here in the Pacific Northwest. Just make sure your dog doesn’t get into the hops—raw or spent (cooked). The symptoms of hops poisoning include an incredibly high body temperature (sometimes topping 108 degrees Fahrenheit), restless behavior, excessive panting, muscle tremors and seizures. Left untreated, this can result multiple organ system damage or failure. Prompt veterinary intervention is necessary to prevent death in these dogs.
Other foods to avoid:
7. Macadamia Nuts (not fatal, but not a good feeling, either)
8. Avocados (the skin and pit)
9. Anything that is moldy or rotten (hide your garbage)
10. Fatty, greasy foods (these are no better for your dog than they are for you!)
11. Anti-freeze (but you knew that already)
12. Ant bait (if it attracts ants, it will attract your dog)
If you ever have any questions about what to feed, what not to feed, and what to do if your dog is acting wobbly or weak after eating who-knows-what, please call us: 360-816-800.
*Thank you to the ASPCA for this information