As we approach warmer climates and we start to plan sunny outdoor trips with our furry family members, it’s a good time to stop and consider one of the most common risks faced by Pets and their Pet parents.
Fleas and ticks dwell where Pets are present and, often, are most comfortable. Dogs who spend time outside, even in your own back yard, are highly susceptible to fleas and, on more wooded properties, ticks as well. Even more susceptible to fleas and ticks are those Pets who join us on hiking and camping trips. For this reason, Hannah Pets receive all preventative medicine, including parasite controls, as part of their exclusive Total Lifetime Care membership.
So, why is it important to regularly administer flea and tick medications?
- First, as we all know, flea and tick bites can cause itching, severe discomfort and irritation.
- Even more severe is the risk of Flea Allergy Dermatitis (FAD), which is a severe allergic reaction to flea bites suffered by millions of dogs and cats. Untreated cases of FAD can lead to severe irritation, hotspots, skin abrasions and even bacterial and fungal infections.
- Anyone who’s lived with a Pet suffering with fleas has probably suffered right along with them. Fleas can leap unnoticed from your Pets to you and will often lay eggs in furniture and carpets, leading to second and third generations of irritating and dangerous pests.
- Fleas can also transmit parasites, such as tapeworms, bacterial diseases and Bartonellosis (cat scratch fever).
- Like flea bites, tick bites can be painful and irritating. But the risks that ticks pose to humans and dogs can be even more severe, leading to Lyme disease, babesiosis, anaplasmosis, ehrlichiosis, and Rocky Mountain spotted fever, causing serious illness or even death.
While flea and tick prevention is relatively easy, inexpensive and non-invasive, many Pet parents forget or neglect to have their Pets treated until it’s too late. Hannah can help!
Our Total Lifetime Care program provides not only parasite controls such as flea and tick prevention, but all Pet care, including 100% veterinary care (medications, preventative care, emergencies, surgeries, dental care, etc.), high quality Pet food delivered right to your door, and lifetime behavioral training.
To learn more about Hannah’s Total Lifetime Care, please visit our Placement Centers at Clackamas Town Center and Washington Square Mall.
Love your Hannah service? Let us know on Yelp!